need a hyper-terminal like GUI based dial up utiity

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Mar 24 16:43:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 07:52:24AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 22:17, Claude Jones wrote:
> > >
> > Your points are well taken, but it's not me that's the problem. That's
> > the point I was trying to make. Is procom the same thing as ProComm? I
> > still run ProComm on a Windows box. Great scripting capabilities and
> > keyboard emulation. I'll look at minicom. Thanks.
>
> Kermit is probably the most complete dial-up program you will find.
> It doesn't have a slick interface like procomm but you can script
> anything complicated.

Yes, without a doubt, there's no queston that C-Kermit is the best
such program. While it lacks a pretty GUI (minicom also lacks this),
Kermit is highly scriptable, so it would be possible to set up its
startup behavior to default to all the settings your users need for
doing this function.

However, as I recall the original posting, he OP had said something
about VT100 emulation, or similar. C-Kermit does not do terminal emulation,
so you can't use it if you must emulate some other terminal. With C-kermit
you get the properties of whatever terminal you're actually using, which
in this case would probably be 'linux' or 'xterm'.