"warning: many lost ticks." when restarting networking

Alex Greg alex.greg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 18:51:27 UTC 2005

When I run ifconfig or restart the networking on a couple of our
machines, I sometimes get this error:

warning: many lost ticks.
Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts

I ran dmesg and got this as well:

tg3: eth0: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
warning: many lost ticks.
Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts
rip mwait_idle+0x56/0x7c
tg3: eth1: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth1: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
tg3: eth1: Link is down.
tg3: eth0: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
tg3: eth2: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth2: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
tg3: eth3: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth3: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.

The machines are IBM x346 dual EM64T's with two Broadcom network ports
on board and two Broadcom network cards - these are configured as two
bonded pairs. They're running Fedora Core 3 x86_64.

What do these errors mean, and are they likely to cause a serious
problem? Everything seems OK so far (I've pulled 20GB of data the
network already, no issues).

Regards,

-- Alex