Broadcom Wireless with > 1 G memory?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Mar 24 19:10:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 12:45, Prarit Bhargava wrote:
> Scot,
>
> I heard back from the people at linuxant.com and they said that they
> were aware of the situation that the broadcom driver would not load if
> you have > 1 G in your machine.  On r3000z, there is one person who
> points out that the system does work correctly at 1 G ... so I'd suggest
> dropping down to that mark and trying again.
>
> My problem is that the r3000z is one of them new-fangled laptops that
> hides one of the  memory slots  "inside" -- which means this evening I
> will be pulling out a saw and blowtorch to open it up to pull the 512 M
> and replace it with 1 G.

Thanks for the confirmation.  Just a note, the board I tried this on has
a Marvel wireless chip set.  So add that one to the list or maybe assume
that any of the drivers will fail if you have > 2GB of memory.

I do plan on taking the box down this weekend if the PVR-250 card
arrives.  I may try pulling memory out when I put the new card in the
box and test that configuration.  At this point though it would just be
a test as I have a wired connection to the box now.  And it seems a
shame to leave memory sitting on the bench.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Today's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why.
		-- Hunter S. Thompson