Setting up a small LAN - a cry for help

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Thu Mar 24 20:59:12 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 19:01, Mark Nixon wrote:
> Thanks. Now, from my wife's computer, I'm asked for a password, but the
> password I set up isn't recognized. I've been messing around, and I've
> probably messed something very basic up.
good, some progress then?
okay, as someone else has already mentioned, normal user passwords (ie your
login passwords) are not used by samba - you'll need to add your users to
*samba's* password database before they can authenticate.
for example:
smbpasswd -a stuart
will prompt for a password for the (already existing) user stuart and add him
(and his new password)  to the samba db. This can be the same as the normal
login password, but it doesn't have to be.

once you have done this you should be able to authenticate as stuart from the
windows boxen...

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX, RTFM, ASAP
Of course there's no reason for it, it's just our policy.