Firefox update

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Mar 24 21:06:06 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 13:20, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:31:16 -0500, Gene Heskett
>
><gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Thursday 24 March 2005 10:56, jim lawrence wrote:

>> >And this will keep updates from messing up plugins?
>>
>> Sure, as long as its seperate from a mozilla or firefox install
>> tree, and the stuff just softlinked from there to an entry in
>> those trees, it should be fine.
>
>So, are you saying that we would still have to keep adjusting things
>by hand after each update? (to remake the symlinks, I mean.)

Possibly, depending on the installer smarts.  But that still beats a
poke in the eye with a sharp stick, or trying to remember where it
was that you ran all that stuff down the last time.  I just upgraded
both mozilla and firefox, and I haven't run into anything yet that
indicates my pluggins got lost.  Thats not saying something hasn't
gone walking as firefox 1.0.2 has only been installed for about 9
hours now.

One can always do the lndir routine too, which might similarly
simplicate that bit of upgradeing maintainance.  That would be where
you stick all that stuff in a seperate dir, and then lndir that dir
to each of the installs real pluggins directory.  Either way, the
contents of the seperate pluggins dir will be shared (read only IIRC)
to the virtually empty pluggins for those two browsers.  Heck, theres
probably enough similarity in the other browsers that use this stuff
that you could just link their pluggins directorys back to the main
one the browser lives in.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)