Setting up a small LAN - a cry for help

Mark Nixon manixdk at tiscali.dk
Thu Mar 24 21:19:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 20:59 +0000, Stuart Sears wrote:
> On Thursday 24 March 2005 19:01, Mark Nixon wrote:
> > Thanks. Now, from my wife's computer, I'm asked for a password, but the
> > password I set up isn't recognized. I've been messing around, and I've
> > probably messed something very basic up.
> good, some progress then?
> okay, as someone else has already mentioned, normal user passwords (ie your
> login passwords) are not used by samba - you'll need to add your users to
> *samba's* password database before they can authenticate.
> for example:
> smbpasswd -a stuart
> will prompt for a password for the (already existing) user stuart and add him
> (and his new password)  to the samba db. This can be the same as the normal
> login password, but it doesn't have to be.
>
> once you have done this you should be able to authenticate as stuart from the
> windows boxen...
>
> Stuart

Hurray! Success! My wife's computer can now see my shares. I simply went
to menu->system settings->server settings->samba->preferences->server
settings->security settings and clicked mark for guest account, and
voilà, I can now get and put files from her computer to mine.

Now to see her computer from mine (-:

As we say in Danish, tusinde tak, or a thousand thanks.

Mark