H.263 encoded video on FC3

Simon Bone sf.bone at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 24 22:01:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 13:29 -0800, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Simon Bone wrote:

<snipped>
> > Is H263 an open standard or not? I hope so, since it's the only format I
> > can access this video in - and bear in mind that this is *my*
> > intellectual property here! I already gathered that quicktime is mostly
> > owned by Apple. I rather wish that this "just worked", but I guess a bit
> > of effort will be worth it. I have installed MP3 support from livia, so
> > I'm not opposed to trying an external repo if I must, nor to doing what
> > I must to get at this stuff.
>
> it's mpeg4 basically...
>
> either mplayer or vlc (videolan) which are available from freshrpms
> and other repos should be able to play it.

Thanks.

I'm tempted to try getting this working through Totem, since that's the
default video player. In FC3 it is set up to use gstreamer as a back
end, so if I can get the right plugins rpm for mpeg4 through that it
should work, I guess.

I don't see the obvious way to browse a repository to find appropriate
packages BTW - browsing based on package descriptions, for not-yet
installed packages, is what I want. Ideally using the same repositories
I'm already set up to download from. Yum seems to be good at updating
packages i have got already or installing packages I already know the
name of. But what I want right now to browse for a package I know
probably exists on one of the repositories I have configured, but don't
know the name of.

I guess a good look via the web at the repositories you mention is
warranted here. But in general, there are many packages in the core
repository or in the extra repository which I don't have installed yet,
but might want to. I could use a tip on how to search or browse those
package descriptions, without installing the package locally. And I
rather feel, a package management tool that knows about my yum
configuration ought to be better placed for this than my web browser.

Thanks,

Simon Bone