installation help

Paul paulwalth at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 22:21:39 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Do, den 24.03.2005 schrieb Paul um 16:13:
>

>>I tried and failed to install this OS on my laptop (PIII-650 384 megs of
>>ram).  I did this by downloading FC3-i386-DVD.iso and burning it onto a
>>dvd with my desktop (running Windows XP), and then installing.  I had it
>>destroy all former partitions (Windows ME) that was on there previously,
>>and everything seemed to go very well.  Then it was done about a half an
>>hour later and I rebooted.
>>
>>It hangs while trying to boot up and I can't figure out the cause.
>>Here's the information I see during bootup that may or maynot be relevant :
>>
>>Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)'
>>root (hd0,0)
>> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>>kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>>

>Remove the "rhgb" parameter from the kernel line. To do so press "a"
>while sitting at the grub boot screen. You then see the kernel parameter
>line and there remove "rhgb". Then boot. Probably that will fix it. If
>it does you will later have to either make the kernel parameter line
>change being default or find the trouble maker. Would be needed to know
>what graphics card you have in the host.
>
>Alexander

(when I say hang, I mean that it just stops.  The information displayed
above stays there for hours if I let it.)

This didn't solve the problem. Here's the screen I'm staring at now instead:

    Booting command-list
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 quiet
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x155da5]
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
    [Linux-initrd @ 0x17ee4000, 0xebc97 bytes]
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
audit(1111703767.4294965660:0): initialized
Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
    Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while
    Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
    2 logical volumes(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
INIT: version 2.85 booting
Setting default font (latarcyrheb-sun16)
[   OK   }

                Welcome to Fedora Core
                Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Starting udev:
            [   OK   ]
Initializing hardware...   storage network audio

Still hanging (stopping) here and doing nothing.  It has an S3 Savage/IX
Graphics Controller.

The complete specs in PDF format are at the Toshiba website at this
address:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_outFrm.jsp?moid=1073810427&ct=DS&soid=638150&BV_SessionID=@@@@1641604106.1111702530@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddeeijdddjcgfkceghdgngdgnn.0