mplayer stopped playing 16 bit audio avis all of a sudden

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 02:34:51 UTC 2005

Hi Folks,

I really hope someone can help me with this one 'cos I'm near the end
of my rope on it.

At first my FC3 system using mplayer or VLC would play some particular
DivX/16bit MPEG1-3 AVIs just fine, but then all of a sudden -- and I
do mean all of a sudden -- it stopped.  Literally.  I was playing a
file, stopped it, started it again, and the audio was gone (video
still works).  I tried VLC -- same result: video, but no sound.
Neither VLC nor mplayer output any errors regarding sound, either.

This has persisted through multiple reboots and re-installing mplayer
and virtually all of its dependencies.  I'm at a loss as to where to
go from here.

MPEGs, WMAs, etc., all play fine.  AVIs with 8 bit audio work fine.
It's just 16 bit.

Any ideas?
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com