Final step to boot from an USB hard disk?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Mar 25 05:26:15 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Antonio Montagnani wrote:
>

>> 8) at this point I tried to install grub (grub-install /dev/sda ) but I
>> get the reply :
>> /dev/sda: not found or not a block device!!!
>

> This might be due to having no nodes ( /dev/sda and others not being
> present within the chrooted environment.) I don't know how to get device
> nodes loaded because they are not like once was (static and many) Now
> they are dynamic and limited.

Using mc as a visual shell, I was able to copy the entries for the sda
devices from /dev (regular install) over to /mnt/sysimage/dev and then
running the fdisk command showed the information regarding /dev/sda.
This might be danerous to attempt to create (actually copy the node to
the chroot via the regular installation.)

Running grub-install /dev/sda yielded the below output in my chrooted
usb installation.

> grub-install /dev/sda
> Installation finished. No error reported.
> This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
> Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
> fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.
>
> # this device map was generated by anaconda
> (fd0)     /dev/fd0
> (hd0)     /dev/hda
> (hd1)     /dev/sda

This worked for me, but I cannot boot this installation anyway.

Jim