Installing FC3 without a bootable cdrom

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Fri Mar 25 17:25:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 at 5:01 AM Paul Howarth said:

>> On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 20:00 -0600, Matthew Benjamin wrote:
>> > I have a Dell Poweredge 4300 that I want to install FC3, however
>> > the cdrom is not bootable and the BIOS does not give the option
>> > even after it has been updated. Does anyone know an alternative
>> > or how to create a boot floppy for FC3?
>>
>> Get yourself smart boot manager from http://btmgr.webframe.org/
>> and install it on a floppy. You'll be able to boot it from the
>> floppy and smart boot manager will then let you "boot" from your
>> CD-ROM.

Good advice and general-purpose enough to work in many situations.  For
a specific FC3 solution, it's worth looking at the RULE project (RULE
stands for Run Up to date Linux Everywhere).  They have a floppy img
file of their slinky installer which you can use to boot.  It will
prompt you for FC3 CDs when it's ready.  This is also worth looking at
if you have a low resource machine you want to use with FC3.

http://www.rule-project.org/download/slinky/

--
Henry