Help needed to install blender on AMD 64, libSDL-1.2.so.0 not found error

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 17:39:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:54:23 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am Fr, den 25.03.2005 schrieb Alexander Dalloz um 15:48:
> > Am Fr, den 25.03.2005 schrieb Trichy pasupathy um 15:26:
> > > After unpacking and running the executable of the current version 2.3
> > > of Blender - a 3D animation software, I get the following errors.
> > > libSDL-1.2.so.0 not found. Subsequently, if I use LDD blender,
> > > libSDL-1.2.so.0 and libGLU.1.2.0 are indicated as not found. I checked
> > > the dir lib64 and found both of them present. I don't have an internet
> > > connection on the linux box. Any ideas/suggestion on how I can fix
> > > this problem?
> >
> > yum install SDL xorg-x11-devel
> >
> > Alexander
>
> Sorry, without internet connection ... yum ...
> Bot packages are Core packages. If you have them on your system already,
> then you will have to instruct ./configure to find them. "./configure
> --help" should tell you. I don't know whether blender is 32bit only.
>
> Alexander

Hi Trichy,
Blender is 32-bit only, which means you will need to have the *32-bit*
versions of the mentioned libraries.  All libraries in lib64
directories are 64-bit, and the ones in lib are 32-bit (well at least
in most cases, kernel modules are in a subdir of lib...).  I assume
you downloaded the binaries and not the source.  I have attempted to
compile blender to make it 64-bit, but it wasn't easy.  I had to hack
up the make files because it wasn't looking in the right place for
64-bit X libraries.
Since you don't have an internet connection, I suggest you use the
package selection GUI and look for "compat" or "32-bit" libraries and
install those.  I don't remember off hand how to install the 32-bit
libs (if they are included on the CDs/DVD) and I'm not in Linux at the
moment.  I remember I downloaded and compiled something like that, but
I don't remember if that was needed to run it, or for compiling (I
think compiling).

Jonathan