parted corrupted Windows boot?

Peter Teuben teuben at astro.umd.edu
Fri Mar 25 21:16:15 UTC 2005

The victim: a brand new Dell laptop, with a small FAT16 partition and
big remainder of FAT32 of WinXP. We choose FAT32 so we could more easily
share in Linux.

We decided to use parted, so booted with FC3 rescue and resized the
WinXP partition from 78 to 15 GB.

Then booted to windows to check, but it failed. Decided it might be a
MBR/Grub issue, so continued to install FC3, and confirmed Linux boots
with the new grub, even sees the WinXP nicely, and is able to look at
files.

However, still WinXP does not boot. We also confirmed that a rescue
boot in WinXP and running FIXMBR didn't work, so this reminds me to
this old problem we had in Core2 where the partition table could be
corruptedly written.  Is that a CHS vs. LBA problem?

Problem is really, how do i get the partition table corrected?  I can
reinstall WinXP, but there is still that Dell Diag partition that is
also corrupted. ....

peter

PS: i saw a solution (?) on a SuSe related page: they want you do make
a driver disk, and insert that during the boot.....