Problems with GDM - graphical greeter gone

Mark Nixon manixdk at tiscali.dk
Sat Mar 26 14:24:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 13:36 +0000, Stuart Sears wrote:
> On Saturday 26 March 2005 13:28, Mark Nixon wrote:

> > > for the /etc/inittab trick to work you'll have to leave runlevel 5
> > > and reenter it (if you haven't tried this)
> > > log in on a virtual terminal as root
> > > init 3
> > > init 5; exit
> > > Stuart
> >
> > By a virtual terminal you mean ctrl-alt-F4?
> yes, or any other text-based terminal.(F1-F6).
> In fact you *could* do this in an xterm if you wanted,
> but you'd have to log in again after the 'init 3'
> > And I should shut down
> > all running programmes, right?
> graphical apps, probably yes - to avoid losing any data in files you
> currently have open.

Just tried it ctl-alt-4, and it says "command not found". As a a matter
of fact, commands like "ifconfig" only work for me in an xterm. I guess
I'll try it in an xterm, and log in again.

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but my experience is mostly with DOS, OS/2
and WIN. And I google and man the hell out of my questions.

Mark