Problems with GDM - graphical greeter gone

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Mar 26 14:29:23 UTC 2005

On Saturday 26 March 2005 14:24, Mark Nixon wrote:
> Just tried it ctl-alt-4, and it says "command not found". As a a
> matter of fact, commands like "ifconfig" only work for me in an
> xterm. I guess I'll try it in an xterm, and log in again.
Are you running these commands as root?
and if so, how do you become root? direct login or su?
if you use su, you should use the command 'su -' or you won't inherit
root's PATH settings - the 'init' command is in /sbin which is not in
any normal user's PATH.
alternatively, try giving the full path to hte command you wish to run:
/sbin/init 3<enter>
<enter>
/sbin/init 5; exit<enter>

> Sorry if I sound ignorant, but my experience is mostly with DOS, OS/2
> and WIN. And I google and man the hell out of my questions.
nope, everybody has to learn sometimes. As you will be discovering, many
things are *very* different under the bonnet with a Linux-based system.

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX, RTFM, ASAP
There has been a little distress selling on the stock exchange.