Step by Step - RPM file and install

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Sat Mar 26 19:03:22 UTC 2005

Jason Hoskins wrote:

>I am new to Linux.  I have installed Fedora Core 4.  Is there a
>resource available the shows step by step how to take an rpm file and
>install it?  I have an rpm file for my Wireless network card, for
>example, but I do not know what to do with it.  Such as, what modules
>do I use in Fedora to go through the process of installation.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jason

Type:
    man rpm   (type q to quit the man pages)

in a terminal window for all of the available options. To get you started:

    rpm -ivh somepackagename.rpm

will (i)nstall the package (v)erbosely with (h)ash marks for progress,
if it's not already installed.

    rpm -Uvh somepackagename.rpm

will (U)pgrade an existing package, or just install it, if an older
version is not already installed.