is fedora okay for people just playing around?

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Sun Mar 27 01:18:37 UTC 2005

Hi everybody.

> I recently got a new computer and I'm going to use my old computer for
> trying out linux and generally experimenting on.  Although I'm generally
> pretty handy and able to figure stuff out I have absolutely no programming
> or professional computer experience.  Would fedora be way out of my league
> or are there other people out there that are just kind of tinkering around?
> (This is not a technical question - I'm sure my old computer could handle it
> - I'm not sure whether I can.)  And if you think not - is there a good
> beginners' basic linux?
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments
>
> Matt
Matt,
you probably gonna get pretty biased opinions on this list, lol. I'd say
most of us love Fedora. Sure, you dealing w/cutting edge here, an
unbelievably powerful system...only if you want to deal w/all the power.
If you want to just be a desktop, hey that's cool too. Ummmm, Although,
it seems that more and more can be done w/GUI(point and click) but you
still have to do some in a terminal shell(like a windows dos prompt) but
that's fun anyway. Just be prepared to get into the bash shell thang. As
far as true, pick up the fone and call tech support, not an option but
really is not an issue at all, This msg-list is support on top of
support!!! I am relatively new to this msg-list myself, I can't possibly
keep up w/all that's goin on here but only to say that you will find
that you are dealing w/a very knowledgeable bunch of people that will
gain your respect real quick like. They know their fedora as huge of a
subject that it really is. I guess the best thing to do to save these
guys from burn-out is to do your googling etc first and try to find out
bout as much as you can...if still can't then come here, you will get
your problems solved. Welcome to the fedora scene.

john rose
--
Ever notice the look on your neighbor's face when you start talking
about linux?