kudzu "Keep existing configuration" does not act as advertised

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 27 02:09:57 UTC 2005

> > Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure we are on the same page.  Let
> > me try again.  I currently have devices connected to my system that
> > Fedora (and thus kudzu) knows about.  The two that I mentioned before
> > are my keyboard and USB printer.  Sometimes, whether from a quirk with
> > the keyboard or from moving my laptop, these devices are not connected
> > at startup.  kudzu doesn't like this and asks me whether or not I want
> > it to remember that the device should be there.  I tell it to keep the
> > configuration, but don't tell me again if you find it to be missing.
> > However, the next time the device is missing, kudzu insists on telling
> > me about it

I experience the same thing with my laptop. I agree with you that it
would be nice if there was a way to tell Kudzu "always keep the
configuration and never ask me about it again!" Unfortunately I think
you are misinterpreting the ambiguous "Keep this configuration"
option...

If you boot up again without the device after saying "keep this
configuration", you'll find that kudzu doesn't complain about it, and
the next time you boot up with the device, kudzu won't act like it's
never seen it before and ask if you want to configure it. However, once
Kudzu sees the device reappear once, then sees it gone again, it asks
again if you want to keep or drop the configuration. I presume
internally the "Keep this configuration" selection is only good until
the next time the device is detected by kudzu. There is no option (and
no setting that I know of, though I don't know much about configuring
kudzu) to let it know that a device should be allowed to come and go at
its leisure. Such an option would be nice, however, so a bugzilla RFE
may be in order...

--
Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org>