Fedora Core 2 problems

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 27 03:43:05 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 22:19 -0500, nethub at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello list:
>
> I just installed a new system per customer request with Fedora Core 2.
> After install, we downloaded all of the updates using yum.  The system
> downloaded the newest kernel, which apparently changes the way it looks
> at Serial ATA drives.  We need to get this customer online, but are not
> sure what needs to be changed.  I know that in the 2.6.10 series of
> kernel it addresses Serial ATA drives as /dev/sda instead of the
> /dev/hde like it did in 2.6.5, but I'm not sure what else to change.
> I've been able to boot into the old kernel, but the swap partition no
> longer seems to work.
>
> /dev/sda1 (formerly hde1) is /boot
> /dev/sda2 (formerly hde2) is /
> /dev/sda3 (formerly hde3) is swap
>
>  From booting in the old kernel:
>
> root at host [~]# ls /sys/block/hde
> ./  ../  dev  device@  hde1/  hde2/  hde3/  queue/  range  size  stat
>
> Here's grub.conf:
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hde2
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hde
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.770_FC2)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC2 ro root=LABEL=/
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.10-1.770_FC2.img
> title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
>
> Here's /etc/fstab:
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/sda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
>
> Please let me know what I need to do to get the system to boot
> successfully with swap enabled in the new kernel.  Thanks for any help
> you can provide!
----
if you are absolutely certain that /dev/sda3 is the swap partition, you
probably only need to reformat it for swap...

man mkswap
man swapon

but just thought I would point out what I would have done, that would
have been to use FC-3 instead of FC-2 at this point...
- much better support for SATA drives
- much longer time before EOL
- worked a lot of bugs out of SELinux
- more up to date versions of some daemons that I use

Craig