mirroring machines

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Sun Mar 27 04:17:29 UTC 2005

Hi Y'all,
As part of an HA(High Availability) project we working on; we want to
mirror all the data on both machine. One thing I am very scared of, is
going crazy w/wildcards. ...gotta stay away from hardware specific
config files etc. It seems like all the hardware config should be, and
probably are in different locations inside /etc/. Thing of it is,
Practically all config files are in /etc/ . For instance you would not
want to mirror /etc/X11 but you would want to mirror /etc/httpd and how
bout  /etc/sysconfig...even the name is scary for soemthing like
this...you would not want to mirror /etc/sysconfig/kudzu but   you would
want to mirror /etc/sysconfig/named. this is crazy.

I really could use some talk about this. maybe I am over-reacting on
this. I really dunno. The way I see it, the only really major subdirs
that should really be mirrored are MOST of /etc and ALL of /var
and /home. Bits and pieces of say, don't ask me why there but I keep all
my own scripts in /usr/local/sbin.

ok dealing w/video, sound, nic cards, Hds, cd/dvd/rw, motherboard,
processor, memory...anything concerning hardware

thx in advance y'all

John Rose
--
...and I woke up 2 days later in the back yard talking to Elvis!