Will FC4 test 1 version up when FC4 goes gold

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Mar 27 21:44:01 UTC 2005

Am So, den 27.03.2005 schrieb Ian McKinnon um 23:04:

> Perhaps I should have made myself clearer

That is reasonable.

> I am at a point where I can upgrade my testbed server with FC4 test 1,
> however due to my time constraints in the next few months I do not want to
> have to do a full reinstall for the gold version of FC4 from CD or DVD.

A "testbed server" is something different than I understand from
"server" you called it in your previous posting. So the system has no
connection to a public net? Else it is critical as there are no security
updates for a test release.

> Therefore I was wondering if through yum or apt it will be possibly to do
> the upgrade to the gold version of FC4

I answered that point. To express it differently now: what you get this
way through yum may not be what the final and stable FC4 release will
be. Nobody can guarantee what happens. In this sense it is unsupported
and not recommended. Although an upgrade with yum should do.

> As to the most un-useful reply from Alexander, you are right, I took an
> expedient way, though perhaps not the best way of posting to this list, so I
> am posting a 'NEW' message.  To which Alexander need not reply.

But I feel free to reply. And I think my previous answer was useful as
your posting was the second try to bring in this question by hijacking a
foreign thread and list mail.

> As far as my being the 'right user', I have used linux for about 6 years,
> though my first foray into Fedora was with FC3 having used SuSE for four
> years after I got tired of RedHat's upgrade policies.  Though now I am
> beginning to have my doubts after the general friendliness of the SuSE
> groups to be confronted with such as Alexander.

Maybe I mis-expressed myself, but from your words I had the impression
you want to upgrade a running Fedora Core _server_ (production system)
to a first test release. If you don't make yourself clear enough I think
you should not wonder about skeptical replies. And I asked about your
intention and background, because a test release is nothing you can
treat to be stable - well, the name says it. It is nothing for a system
to act as a reliable serving host.

> So this was simply a desire for information as to the specific policies of
> the FC releases.  No need to be such a prat Alexander, there are better ways
> to phrase things.

Sorry, English is not my first language. Hope you did understand my
answer now better. Keep your affronts.

> Ian E. McKinnon

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 23:31:30 up 10 days, 20:27, load average: 0.47, 0.46, 0.40