Mouse going wild in KVM

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 28 00:04:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 18:28, RL wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:13:21 -0500, Beri, Rohit <linuxlist at beris.net> wrote:
> > RL wrote:
> >
> > >I have XP and Fedora  boxes in a belkin KVM.  It works fine until I
> > >switch to XP when I'm in Fedora (usually in GNOME) and then come back
> > >to the Fedora box. Usually my mouse goes wild and I have to kill X.
> > >What can be done to correct this?
> > >

> > well I have the same config.... XP / FC3 and Belkin KVM... I had to
> > logout of my FC3 KDE Session after switching.... looked around no
> > answers... Now I have seperate mouse of each box.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > -B
> >

> Few things I want to followup with:
>
> I tried this thanks to a link I found in google:
>
>  edit  drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.c and change
>
>   if (psmouse->pktcnt && time_after(jiffies, psmouse->last + HZ/20)) to
>
>   if (psmouse->pktcnt && time_after(jiffies, psmouse->last + 1*HZ))
>
> That is for the 2.5 kernel, however, and the filename is slightly
> different than psmouse.c in 2.6.  But I gave that a try, recompiled,
> but that didn't work.  I will try that psmouse.proto=bare line.  Is
> this something that can be corrected in a future kernel release?
>
> Also, there is another annoying issue with Fedora and my Belkin KVM.
> Not only does my mouse go wild at times, but at the command prompt
> (not X) text is pushed to the left where it becomes unreadable after I
> switch over from XP to Fedora. I have a Dell LCD, but I got a feeling
> it's that darn Belkin causing it.  Is this also a common issue with
> Belkin KVMs?

This is a long standing problem with Belkin KVM switches.  Most people
find that using psmouse.proto=bare or psmouse.proto=imp resolves the
problem.  As mentioned this will most likely cause the mouse wheel to
stop working.

I recently picked up an Iomega 4 port KVM switch.  Interestingly enough
linux seems to work fine with it but Windows 2000 seems to have problems
with the mouse.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Against stupidity the very gods Themselves contend in vain.
		-- Friedrich von Schiller, "The Maid of Orleans", III, 6