can ping but not browse

Ravi Prasad ravi4edu at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 01:58:48 UTC 2005

Hi all..
     I am using FedoreCore2 on my DELL PC in a LAN(IP:
192.168.100.10).A SuSe9 machine(IP: 192.168.100.1) on
the same LAN is connected to internet via DSL and it
is configured with IP masquerading. I have made this
Suse machine as default gateway. My machine is dual
boot with WinXP and FedoraCore2. Everything works fine
in WinXP. But in Fedora I am only able to ping the
outside addresses but not able to browse them. Some
points which can help to figure out the problem:

1. Ping works fine. I can ping to every internal LAN
machine and outside adresses like google.com and
kernel.org.
2. Every other machine on LAN can ping my computer.
3. In browser when I type a domain name it finishes
DNS lookup and starts HTTP transaction but then
infinetly waits saying "Waiting for reply".
4. I installed and started the httpd daemon on my
computer and tried to browse my machine by another
machine on LAN. Then also that machine waits
infinitely saying "Waiting for reply".
5. I started httpd on another machine on LAN and tried
to browse from my system but the same behavior,
"waiting for reply".
6. I looked on net and the links were pointing to DNS
problem. So i tried on the browser by directly giving
the IP address(like 216.239.57.99 for google.com) and
not the domain name. But still same behavior, "waiting
for reply".

I stopped my computers firewall and tried but still
the same behavior.

Can anyone help to figure out the problem.

Regds..