the mail trail...sendmail

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Mon Mar 28 15:54:36 UTC 2005

> Sendmail sends mail & receives mail on port 25, as you have said.
> It also handles delivery of mail (i.e. puts new mail in /var/spool/user)
>
> >Here is where I am hung up. What actually takes place now?
> >In just a basic, Sendmail system w/out many changes at all that came
> >stock w/FC3, can I assume that: Say a msg comes in for rado, does it go
> >to var/spool/mail/rado?
> >

> yes

> >when exactly does procmail get in the game?
> >I notice that in /home/rado there is lots of stuff concering mail.
> >

> procmail is for setting filters
> i.e. setup a filter so all mail which is addressed to
> fedora-list at redhat.com gets put into a different folder/file
thx  Sean, that was great.
ok, right here!!!
mail is in var/spool/mail/rado i.e. where sendmail planted it.
now then, is it a deal where, along in thru here, sendmail tells
procmail it's your turn, do what you want or procmail watching all this
at this point, after sendmail puts it in the mail folder that procmail
takes over?
does procmail go to /var/spool/mail/rado ...see what's there and filter
it and send it where you filter it to?
I am really interested in procmail, ummm, to make up recipes in
procmail, it has to know where your mail is sitting at, I am sure, don't
have that recipe tutorial in front of me. sure it needs this tho and
where you want to put mail filtered w/ this or that...from this or
that...

my main project here is bottom line, I am not interested in procmail's
spam filtering techniques right now, I just want procmail and rsync
together or whatever; I just want to keep whatever mail is in rado's
maildir to end up on machine "B" which is trying to sync up w/machine
"A".
I am hoping I am on the right track here.

john rose