RH9 + NIS, FC1 + ypbind

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Mon Mar 28 17:46:02 UTC 2005

Has anyone else experienced ypbind just stopping on FC1?

We've got a mixed network of RH9 and FC1 machines.  The NIS server is
currently running on RH9, and ypbind running on FC1 can connect to the
RH9 machine to authenticate.  However, occasionally we've noticed that
the ypbind service on FC1 will simply stop.  A grep through the logs
doesn't show anything unusual (grep -i bind /var/log/messages*) and a
status query on the ypbind service (service ypbind status) reports
"ypbind dead but pid file exists".   Once ypbind is restarted (service
ypbind restart), users can use the machine again.

kernel: 2.4.22-1.2199.nptlsmp
ypbind: 1.12-3

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?  Any idea what may be causing
this, or where to start looking for clues?  Could it be an issue at the
NIS end?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent