the mail trail...sendmail

rado rado at rivers-bend.com
Mon Mar 28 18:28:29 UTC 2005

> > hi Paul!
> > > Actually sendmail uses another program (the default in FC being
> > > procmail) to handle local delivery. Sendmail runs the program it's
> > > configured to use for local delivery to put the file
> > > in /var/spool/mail/user or wherever (e.g. it will be different for
> > > someone using the cyrus mail system).
> > >
> > > Paul.
> > yes, I am using sendmail and procmail the evolution to read/reply etc
> > k...so who actually dumps the mail in /var/spool/mail/rado/ sendmail or
> > proc? I think sendmail actually puts it in the spool dir... just want
> > that point clear  in my head.
>
> Sendmail calls procmail to handle local delivery, so procmail is what
> eventually dumps the mail there (by default).
>
> If you are using evolution with a POP/IMAP server then the POP/IMAP
> server retrieves the mail from /var/spool/mail/rado on the POP/IMAP
> server and gives it to evolution, which then dumps the mail somewhere
> under ~/.evolution on the machine on which you're running evolution.
kk... yes, using dovecot to pop...thinking bout leaving msgs on server
as well, I think procmail is the baby that sends it to ~/.evolution tho
huh? I need to intercept it there I believe. while it sends it to
~/.evolution send it to the other machine...sync the ...spool/mail/rado
and maybe also ~/.evolution ... gettin closer w/this for sure!

> Paul.
Well, right now, not concerned w/spam, just trying to sync up the mail
bit on 2 machines A and B which is just a part to the big project.
thx paul

john rose