acpi=force is required to enable ACPI

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 28 21:24:37 UTC 2005

Barry Yu wrote:
> FC3 booting up in level 3, noticed that a message ;
> ACPI: BIOS age (2000) fails cut off (2001), acpi=force is required to
> enable ACPI..
>
> Is this meaning that the system's BIOS is out of date? Where and how can
> I put the "acpi=force" in order to turn on the ACPI?

First of all, are you sure that you want to enable ACPI? On most
desktops of that era, it buys you very little. On many laptops of that
era, you'll find that APM power management was better tested.

The message simply means that the motherboard's BIOS dates from before
2001. Depending on the motherboard, it may or may not be the latest
BIOS available. You'd have to check the manufacturer's website.

If you do want to force ACPI, you put it in the kernel command line. To
do this for a one-off experiment, boot the computer. When the grub menu
comes up (before Fedora starts loading), press a key to display the
menu, select the kernel you want to boot and press "e", select the
"kernel" line and press "e" again, then add " acpi=force" at the end of
the line.

To do this on a regular basis, edit the file /boot/grub/grub.conf and
add the " acpi=force" keyword to the appropriate kernel line. It might
look something like this:

title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.760_FC3smp)
        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.760_FC3smp ro root=/dev/hda6 acpi=force
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10-1.760_FC3smp.img

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | grasshopotomaus:
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | A creature that can leap to tremendous heights...