DAG Repos

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 21:48:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:22:32 -0500 (EST), Matthew Saltzman
<mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Mark Haney wrote:
>
> >> The best source for Java for FC is jpackage.org.  A bit of a learning
> >> curve, but it generally works much better than the Sun RPMs.
>
> I've added a layer of '>''s to mark the part of your message that was a
> quote of my message.  If you could configure your mail client to quote
> messages in a similar way, that would help readability.
>
> > Does the jpackage version work with Firefox in FC3?
>
> The jpackage Java RPMs require that you grab the Sun (or other) compiler
> as a tarball and the jpackage nosource RPM, then build the RPMs yourself.
> The instructions are on the jpackage.org site.
>
> I'm using (slightly older, slightly modified) jpackage Sun RPMs with Sun's
> 1.5.0_01 source, and they are working fine.

Sun offers a Linux rpm package for the latest version of the JRE,
1.5.0 Update 2.  There is no need to compile the source unless you
want the source for another purpose.  Just go to
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp, click on the "Download
JRE 5.0 Update 2" link., agree to the license agreement, and download
the JRE, Netbeans or the source.  It's your choice.