Internet tracking options

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 28 21:56:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 15:12, Mark Haney wrote:

> > This is spyware you are talking about.  There are keyloggers
> > available, however I would not recommend their use.  They may open
> > you up to various legal issues depending on where you are located.
> >
> > Again, what is it you are really trying to do?  Are you trying to
> > setup monitoring for an organization or are you trying to spy on a
> > single person?
>
> I am not really trying to 'spy'.  It's more for HIPAA compliance as well
> as I wanted to see if there were any new technologies that were
> available.

For HIPAA compliance I think you would want to implement a transparent
proxy and use the logs generated there to satisfy the HIPAA rules.
Trying to do this on a per user/system basis is a losing battle.  You
could never guarantee that you captured everything that way.  Only by
forcing all traffic through a proxy are you able to do that.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Yow!  I just went below the poverty line!