RH9 + NIS, FC1 + ypbind

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Mon Mar 28 23:14:11 UTC 2005

On Monday, Mar 28, 2005, at 15:40 US/Central, akonstam at trinity.edu
wrote:
> This is not really an answer to your question but we have a RH 9 NIS
> server and FC2 clients. Periodically ypserv just goes away. We have a
> crontab script that checks on the server if ypserv is running every
> minute or so and if it has stopped it restarts ypserv. It would be more
> of a pain but you could do a similar thing with ypbind on the clients.

Yes, we've also seen NIS (ypserv) go down on the RH9 machine.  I like
your work-around of using crontab.  Although using crontab to restart
the service doesn't address the root of the problem, it cures the
symptom, which is good enough for our needs.

BTW, here's how I created a cron job to check on ypbind on FC1.  As
root:

mkdir /etc/cron.minutely

cd /etc/cron.minutely

cat <<EOF > 0-ypbind.cron
#!/bin/bash
{ ps -p $(cat /var/run/ypbind.pid) ; } >& /dev/null || /sbin/service
ypbind restart
exit 0
EOF

cd ..

cat <<EOF >> crontab
* * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.minutely
EOF

service crond restart

> We also could not find out why ypserv is stopping.

Bummer.  But it's somewhat comforting to see that I'm not the only one
who has experienced this.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent