the mail trail...sendmail

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Mar 28 23:37:57 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 29.03.2005 schrieb rado um 0:22:

> kk I got it working but not really correct. I did: rsync -
> r /home/rado/.evolution/mail/local/* and then switched servers...yes the
> mail from A was now on B but that is just my own personal rado at rivers-
> bend.com email. Although, yes, this is just a sort of home, challenge
> project I am working on. BUT, at the same time I would like to entertain
> the fact that I would like to have a few remote user accts to have
> around as well, what would happen to them?? See?
>
> I think that the mail switch has to be done at lower level than the
> reader. Has to be done in sendmail itself...trick it or switch it to not
> pay any attn. to ESMPT ID stuff.  It must be there huh?

> John Rose

You do curious things ;)
If we are speaking about INBOX mail accessed via POP3, then only rsync
the /var/spool/mail/$USER file. This is the one which counts. To be sure
no fresh new incoming mail interferes, shut down Sendmail during the
rsync processing. Be aware that POP3 mail clients have their own list
about mail being read or new. That is not stored on the server side.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 01:34:38 up 11 days, 22:30, load average: 0.33, 0.42, 0.44