write access to UUCP lockfile directory denied

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Mar 29 00:16:14 UTC 2005

In the process of fiddling with Kermit and another communications
program install, I appear to have broken somthing. I have found many
documents pertaining to the issue, but very few solutions. Most speak to
a program leaving a lock file in place after terminating. Some discuss
changing permissions on certain devices/directories. Wading through all
this stuff, it's hard to tell what's 'winging it' vs. what's proper
procedure. And nowhere, have I found an explanation for how this could
have broken. Can someone point me to some better docs, or is there
something I could try? In the dev directory, ttyS2 looks no different
than all the other ttyS*, and there is no /dev/modem, which is what I
was using successfully to initiate Kermit sessions.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA