[Fedora] Re: Top Posting....

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 29 02:32:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 18:34 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Patrick McSwiggen wrote:
>
> > It's a double dash and a space (-- ) on a line by itself.
>
>     So I was close.  But now, where does that have an effect?  On what?
> Or maybe, FOR what?  And would one put the double dash-space before or
> after a disclaimer (but before their signature)?  (Mind you, I can't
> stand those disclaimers that can compete with a novel.)

One place it has an effect is with email clients and some mailing list
servers that are smart enough to truncate signatures in replies,
forwards, and list emails.

As for the disclaimers, my opinion is that they are worthless. By the
time you get to them, you've already read the email, so if there was any
confidential information, you've read and processed it without reading
the disclaimer. Unless the email is packed with stock market analysis or
10K reports, I'm not sure what anyone thinks is the value of a
disclaimer, especially one that is more than a paragraph...

--
Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org>