Top Posting....

Will Yardley fedora-list at veggiechinese.net
Tue Mar 29 07:47:27 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 06:29:07PM -0500, Crisler, Jon wrote:

> Personally, when dealing with very active lists and following the
> thread, top posting is a time saver.

Just in case this isn't a troll...

A time-savaer for whom? It's worth a few seconds of YOUR time in the
interest of not wasting time for everyone else reading the list.

> I think this falls into the realm of personal preference, some people
> like it, some not....

Rather it's the convention to both trim the original message down AND
reply below the quoted text. When everyone follows their personal
preference, things get even messier. When everyone follows the
convention, threads are much easier to follow and (see above) all the
thoustands of people reading the list don't have to waste time hunting
through extra quoted material to figure out the context.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:32:38PM -0500, Aaron Gaudio wrote:

> As for the disclaimers, my opinion is that they are worthless.

I always send people this link. It has a pretty good explanation of why
these things are mostly worthless. To be fair many people are forced to
include them (or even have them added later by their company's MTA).

http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

/w