acpi on Fedora

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 29 12:08:32 UTC 2005

Daniel Frerejacque wrote:
> I use a laptop vintage 2001 (Satellite Pro 4600)
> acpi is build-in, and the Pentium III frequency
> is controlled up to 900 Mhz (using Windows)
>
> However, with RHL7, 9, FC2 in order to boot
> I had to have "acpi=off". I Let it with FC3?
>
> What is the status of acpi by now with FC3?
> supported or not? I noticed there is an applet
> giving only the actual (max) frequency.
>
> Daniel Frerejacque

 From what I grasped from conversations regarding acpi on several lists,
the acpi implementation of acpi goes by certain standards. The breakage
is on the BIOS side and the imlementation of acpi from these vendors. I
suppose acpi has to be fixed on the BIOS side to conform to standards.

My BIOS is on the other side of the coin, no acpi and I cannot boot this
computer. (HP laptop). Everything seems to work with acpi, on this
computer, as designed.

Jim

--
You should never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for
freedom and liberty.