basic question -linux path..(/usr/bin, /usr/local/bin)

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 29 13:17:47 UTC 2005

paul,

when i do an
 #echo $PATH
/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/b
in:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_02/bin:/opt/condor
-6.6.6/sbin:/opt/condor-6.6.6/bin:/root/bin

which says that i have both '/usr/local/bin' and '/usr/bin'.

when i do
 #mysql, i get
-bash: /usr/local/bin/mysql: No such file or directory

however, the mysql file is in the '/usr/bin' dir, and if i do
 #/usr/bin/mysql, mysql runs....

the '/usr/bin/my*' dir is:
[root at lserver2 /]# ls /usr/bin/my*
/usr/bin/myisamchk                   /usr/bin/mysqld_multi
/usr/bin/myisamlog                   /usr/bin/mysqldump
/usr/bin/myisampack                  /usr/bin/mysqldumpslow
/usr/bin/my_print_defaults           /usr/bin/mysql_find_rows
/usr/bin/mysql                       /usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables
/usr/bin/mysqlaccess                 /usr/bin/mysqlhotcopy
/usr/bin/mysqladmin                  /usr/bin/mysqlimport
/usr/bin/mysqlbinlog                 /usr/bin/mysql_install_db
/usr/bin/mysqlbug                    /usr/bin/mysql_setpermission
/usr/bin/mysqlcheck                  /usr/bin/mysqlshow
/usr/bin/mysql_config                /usr/bin/mysqltest
/usr/bin/mysql_convert_table_format  /usr/bin/mysql_zap

any ideas as to how to get mysql to run from the command line..??

thanks

bruce