Software RAID - command line

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Tue Mar 29 15:15:55 UTC 2005

On Tuesday, Mar 29, 2005, at 05:20 US/Central, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Di, den 29.03.2005 schrieb Rajiv um 11:49:
>>     I would like to configure software RAID through commands.
>> Awaiting your
>> help on this.
>
> Please, first google, then ask by mailing if google didn't help. Very
> trivial to search for "Linux RAID howto" and to get
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

If you don't have spare drives or partitions with which to practice
RAID, you can use the loopback device.  You can find a simple example
of setting up RAID5 using loopback devices here:

   http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?LbRaid5

Not for production purposes, just for getting familiar with RAID.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent