Internet tracking options

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 15:16:36 UTC 2005

> Well after a small hiatus, I am back on the list again.  It's good to
> finally think about something other than Windows.  Here's my question to
> the list.  What options are there to track Users internet usage in
> Linux?  Not just bandwidth, which isn't an issue, but what sites are
> visited etc?  I know squid does this, but the log files are a pain to go
> through.  Are there any other apps out there that I can test?

I use squid and sarg.

I Also use gShield as the firewall script to make squid a transparent
proxy. This forces the users to use the proxy without them knowing.
They have been made aware that their internet usage is monitored, but
I don't think anyone looks at the pages unless a problem comes up. It
is very effective and is all covered in the Internet Policy and
Procedure notice everyone has been given.

Http://muse/linuxmafia.org for gShield.
Dag has rpm's for sarg.

Hope this helps.
--