Top Posting....

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Mar 29 15:17:47 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 29.03.2005 schrieb Rick Lim um 17:03:

> I agree, it follows replying to emails, at work everyone replys to the top
> of the email, it saves time trying to go to the bottom to read a couple of
> word response to a question after a multi page email trail.

And why is that so? Because the whole previous content is quoted instead
of stripping to the part which is needed to understand the new
contribution.
You provide the best example for this with your mail. Why do you even
quote Angelo's reply to Paul's posting along with a list signature and
Phil's signature?

> I can't see the reasoning of having to go to the bottom of a newsgroup
> posting or email that you are already following to continue reading, if you
> aren't up on the posting / email and you are interested enough in the
> subject then you'll put the effort into reading it all from the bottom.
> Instead of wasting everyones time forcing them to scroll to the bottom and
> then replying my vote is to top post.

I don't know whether you are from a culture where people read from
bottom to top. Are your newspapers in that way?

I think I will just keep my mouth in future and will not reply any more
to such top + bottom + inner mixed postings. Probably the only
reasonable reaction.

EOD from my side

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:10:34 up 12 days, 14:06, load average: 0.47, 0.42, 0.51