linux program to draw custom maps

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 15:25:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:01:27 +0800, Didier Casse <elprodigio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>       Does anybody know some kind of program in linux that can draw
> custom maps from point A to point B? All parameters should come from
> user input and also the program shoud be able to  place some nice
> graphics in the place of houses, buildings and so on...
>
> I want to draw a map to indicate to people how to get to point X. But
> I wanted to make it more lively instead of plainly drawing roads and
> boxes to represent buildings. I want something more colorful but do
> not which to resort to something like gimp!
>
> Can this be done?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Didier.

You could try tux paint It isa bit childish but with a bit of work you
could make it work for you. My girls love it.  If not, you want
something like smartdraw (windows only)
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/
requires a few extra libraries So I yum install tuxpaint and worked
very nice :)
Hope it helps out
--

Jim Lawrence