linux program to draw custom maps

Alan Humphries al.humphries at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 29 16:11:03 UTC 2005

Hi! Does anybody know some kind of program in linux that can draw custom
maps from point A to point B? All parameters should come from user input
and also the program shoud be able to place some nice graphics in the
place of houses, buildings and so on... I want to draw a map to indicate
to people how to get to point X. But I wanted to make it more lively
instead of plainly drawing roads and boxes to represent buildings. I
want something more colorful but do not which to resort to something
like gimp! Can this be done?
-- Cheers, Didier.

Have you tried inkscape, koularpaint, or karbon14 - they can draw and
have colour
    Alan