command to list ownership of folder

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Mar 29 21:28:09 UTC 2005

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 15:20 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
>>I have an exactly configured box I can ssh into and get the list of
>>owners, but I can't find the command that lists ownership of a folder -
>>is there such?
>
>     Yeah, there must be a way around that; I know that RPM has a way to
> compare the installed permissions to the current ones; it's under the
> 'query' section of the manpage for RPM.
>
>     Whether there's a command to just put'em back is unclear, but using
> "rpm -vq --whatprovides /var/log" should show you which RPM it came
> from, then the other query-command will let you know what they should
> be.  Find that command, and you're on your way...

Thanks for your time. I'd read the ls man page and missed it. 'ls -l'
did it for me. I just listed the folder on my home machine from work,
got the ownerships list and changed them all back on the work machine.
Like the purloined letter, the answer was in my face... Your method
sounds useful, though and has been catalogued.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA