Top Posting....

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue Mar 29 22:32:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Phil Labonte wrote:

> I still fail to understand how top posting "interferes with the flow",
> if you read the original post why do you have to include it in your
> replies?

because we're having a dialog...

> As someone was comparing this to a newspaper... When they publish
> letters to the editor they do not includes most of the original
> article...

The author and the respondant do not actually have a dialog, as the
ordinarily would if they were having a conversation/

> Or when they print multiple stories on the same subject they do not
> include the orinal story in subsequent stories...
>
> I mean if you cannot follow a post without quoting text...

when I grep through my mailbox for a conversation I had a week ago, it's
useful to get the background info out of the same message. If I have to
locate the whole thread that's time consuming parcticularly if the
conversation takes  days...

The 30 to forty regular mailing list subscriptions, plus work mail, plus
personal mail, minus spam adds up to 6.9GB since 1995 or about 1,147,565
messages recieved, 23,562 sent. keeping track is easier if people actually
bother adhereing to some reasonable conversational rules.

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:16:42 +0200, Duncan Lithgow
> <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:

<SNIP>
Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu