How do I get a USB CD-ROM working in Fedora Core 3?

John Sloan john.sloan at rogers.com
Wed Mar 30 00:23:23 UTC 2005

>john.sloan at rogers.com wrote:
>> I have googled and googled, and I just can't seem to get this to
>> work. I have a Thinkpad X23 with an external CD-ROM drive that
>> connects via USB. No matter what I do, it is not recognised in FC3.
>> There is no entry in /dev and I can't figure out what the problem is.
There are no /dev/scd* devices.

>> Anyone got any ideas??
>
>Try booting without the device connected. Log in, then connect the
>drive. Wait for a few seconds, then look at the end of the file
>/var/log/messages to see what kernel messages appeared when the drive
>was connected. We'll make sure first that the kernel recognises the drive.
>
>Paul.

As requested, I have checked "/var/log/messages" and here are the lines
added when the USB CD-ROM drive was plugged in.:

Mar 25 11:20:45 LinuxForensics kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device
using address 2 Mar 25 11:20:47 LinuxForensics kernel: SCSI subsystem
initialized Mar 25 11:20:47 LinuxForensics kernel: Initializing USB Mass
Storage driver...
Mar 25 11:20:47 LinuxForensics kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices

And here is the diff between the dmesg output before and after the CD was
plugged in:

261,269d260
< usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using address 2 < SCSI subsystem
initialized < Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
< scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices < usb 1-1: reset full
speed USB device using address 2 < scsi: Device offlined - not ready after
error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 0 lun 0 < USB Mass Storage device found
at 2 < usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage < USB Mass Storage support
registered.

Note: I just installed Fedora Core 3 by booting from this USB CD-ROM and
then getting the packages from an FTP server, so I know this CD-ROM drive is
working OK.

Anyone got any ideas?