Wireless connectivity NOT resolved

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Mar 30 05:25:02 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 9:14 pm, Chris Ruprecht flailed at a keyboard and
produced this:
> Richard,
>
> what card are you using? I'm running the internat IPW2100 card (Intel stuff)
> on my ThinkPad. It started to work fine after I got the firmware downloaded
> and installed correctly.

I'm using a Linksys WPC54GS (with something called "speedbooster", whatever
the heck that is).

> To get it going I used the GUI netconfig tool (Under System Tools -> Network
> Device Control in KDE). I set up the key and all that stuff there. Be
careful
> to use the right number of characters for WEP. the 64-bit WEP used 5 bytes
> (actually only 40 bit encryption). The 160 bit (I think that what it is)
uses
> 13 bytes for encryption.

Yeah, I've quadruple-checked that.  Heh.  Thanks, though.

> Since the card works without WEP, my initial thought of checking your MAC
> filtering on the WAP would be a moot point, but I mention it anyway.

I do filter on MAC addresses, but I've made sure the MAC address for my
wireless card is on the list of allowed cards.

> Also, make sure that you're actually talking to your WAP and not some other
> thing that one of your neighbors uses.

Yup.

Dang it.

Thanks, though.