Starting the installation from a USB key

ilyes gouta ilyes.gouta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 08:56:38 UTC 2005

Hi everybody,

I'm willing to install the Fedora Core 3 on my laptop (Thinkpad R50) .
I got the installation CDs from a friend which told me that the first
CD can't be used to boot the system and kickoff the install.

On the /readme of that CD it written that bootdisk.img can be used to
bootstrap the installation from a USB stick. I tried the following
from my aging Mandrake 9.2 distro. :

% dd if=/mnt/cdrom/image/bootdisk.img of=/dev/sda4

Where /dev/sda4 is my USB stick which is unmounted.

I '% reboot'  the machine w/ my USB stick plugged, told the BIOS to
boot from a HDD USB (which correctly detected my stick) and crossed my
finger... -> Nothing, the system just displays "Missing operating
system" and hangs..

Any idea ? How to bootstrap the installation from a USB stick ?

Thanks in advance.