Strange tripwire behaviour

Tony Molloy molloyt at keano.csis.ul.ie
Wed Mar 30 09:55:30 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I run tripwire each night on all my servers to check for file changes.
This morning I noticed something strange. On this server tripwire was
installed on 26th Nov last.

    [root at keano ~]# rpm -qa --last | grep tripwire
    tripwire-2.3.1-18.fdr.3.1                     Fri Nov 26 13:31:50 2004

Now for some reason when it was run last night the following changes had
occured to the tripwire executable. Changes to the Inode Number, the
block count, the CRC32 and MD5 checksums.

Modified object name:  /usr/sbin/tripwire

  Property:                   Expected                    Observed
  -------------                   -----------

  Object Type              Regular File                Regular File
  Device Number          2053                          2053
* Inode Number            681532                      681460
  Mode                        -rwxr-xr-x                   -rwxr-xr-x
  Num Links                  1                              1
  UID                          root (0)                       root (0)
  GID                          root (0)                       root (0)
  Size                         1281752                     1281752
  Modify Time              Sun Nov 30 20:21:01 2003    Sun Nov 30 20:21:01
2003
* Blocks                      2520                        2512
* CRC32                     CpVcDQ                      C/vQ0R
* MD5                        CFFTZS34tssRvsudSHxqNn
AOg63JUMfON3CDJOE/e2sz

Now a similar change occured on all 20 of my servers last night so I don't
think it was a compromise. At least I hope not.

Any ideas.

Regards,

Tony

--