Help need for fc3 installing on IBM Xseries 360

Jin Baiqi jin_74075 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 11:48:50 UTC 2005

Hello, I installed fc3 on this 4-cpus machine and
found that it can boot with linux kernel with only one
cpu supported.
However, when I try to boot with SMP kernel, it keeps
rebooting. This machine has 4 cpus and 2 scsi hard
disks. This machine is supposed to support redhat
enterprise 7.2.
I will very appreciate you for any advice or possible
hints.

Jin

Jin Baiqi wrote:
> Can anybody tell me whether fc3 support 4-CPU
server?

Yes. Basically, all you need to support multiple
processors is the SMP
support in the Linux kernel. And Fedora comes with
SMP-compiled kernels
available.

> Or how can I get around to use 4 CPUs efficiently?

Make sure you're using the SMP kernel: type uname -r
and check for the
letters "smp". Or look at /proc/cpuinfo and count the
processors.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | La Forge: "There's a tiny ship
ahead, barely
                      | Picard: "Mr. La Forge,
activate windshield
wipers."