Wireless connectivity - was resolved, then unresolved, now RESOLVED!!!

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Mar 30 12:51:05 UTC 2005

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> Deep in the heart of /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices, I found two files:
> ifcfg-wlan0, and keys-wlan0.  I made sure that ifcfg-wlan0 had the right
> entry for my WAP under ESSID; then in keys-wlan0, I found that the line
> for
> KEY= was blank.  I put in my encryption key, reactivated wlan0 and
> deactivated eth0 (and even unplugged the cable), restarted networking, and
> even rebooted for the hell of it.  SUCCESS!

I didn't think this file was normally read when booting;
I thought /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
would be the relevant file.

WiFi under Fedora/Linux is a bit of a mess, in my opinion.
Files all over the place are looked at,
without any documentation listing them.

In your case, I would have looked at /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts
and set the WEP key there.
But I use the standard orinoco_cs kernel driver,
which may be different.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366