Wireless connectivity - was resolved, then unresolved, now RESOLVED!!!

Dave Gavin dgavin at davegavin.com
Wed Mar 30 13:22:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:51:05 +0100
Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

> Richard S. Crawford wrote:
>
> > Deep in the heart of /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices, I found two files:
> > ifcfg-wlan0, and keys-wlan0.  I made sure that ifcfg-wlan0 had the right
> > entry for my WAP under ESSID; then in keys-wlan0, I found that the line
> > for
> > KEY= was blank.  I put in my encryption key, reactivated wlan0 and
> > deactivated eth0 (and even unplugged the cable), restarted networking, and
> > even rebooted for the hell of it.  SUCCESS!
>
> I didn't think this file was normally read when booting;
> I thought /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
> would be the relevant file.
>
> WiFi under Fedora/Linux is a bit of a mess, in my opinion.
> Files all over the place are looked at,
> without any documentation listing them.
>
> In your case, I would have looked at /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts
> and set the WEP key there.
> But I use the standard orinoco_cs kernel driver,
> which may be different.

 Tim,

    The ifcfg-eth* files are all the same file:

find /etc/sysconfig -name 'ifcfg-eth?' -exec /bin/ls -l {} \;
-rw-r--r--  3 root root 195 Feb 13 21:03
-rw-r--r--  3 root root 195 Feb 13 21:03
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
-rw-r--r--  3 root root 195 Feb 13 21:03
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0

 (my mailer will have broken the output lines, sorry)

 The "3" in the second column is the count of links to the data - the different
files are hard links to the same data. Edit one and you edit them all... Your
comment about this being a bit of a mess is right on target... I think that it's
the result of different tools looking in different places or the design of the
profile mechanism (which is also a mess and seems only partially implemented).

Dave